Due to its hydrating, satiating, anticancer and antioxidant properties , cucumber is a fruit that can and should be included daily in meals. Especially the cucumber smoothie works for breakfast or after exercising.
Although many people dislike the peel because of its somewhat bitter taste, it is convenient that you also include it in recipes, as they are a rich source of vitamin A, K and fiber .
In this article we will show you how to make a delicious smoothie and everything you need to know about cucumber.
Cucumber Smoothie Recipe (2 people)
- 1 medium cucumber diced with peel.
- 1/2 cup of milk (whichever you prefer) or coconut water.
- The juice of 1 lemon.
- 200 gr of fruit (if frozen, the better): melon, pineapple, apple, pear, kiwi, banana, avocado.
- ½ cup of vegetable: Celery, watercress, spinach, chard.
- Stevia, honey or sweetener to taste
Place the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
Before making the shake
- Clean and disinfect the vegetables and fruits that you are going to use very well.
- If you choose milk to prepare the shake it will be creamier, on the other hand, if you opt for coconut water the consistency will be light .
- To reduce the bitter taste of watercress, immerse it in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- If you use apple or pear, do not remove the peel.
- If you prepare the smoothie with avocado, cut it just before beating so that it does not oxidize.
5 benefits of cucumber smoothie
1. It is a source of nutrients.
2. It is a multivitamin, especially if it is mixed with various vegetables and fruits.
3. Helps to easily excrete toxic substances from the body.
4. It is hydrating, as is this infusion of cucumber, kiwi and strawberries .
5. Avoid constipation due to the amount of soluble and insoluble fiber it contains.
5 benefits of cucumber
1. It is diuretic: Cucumber is composed of 96% water , so it is one of the best diuretics that exist, this is one of the reasons why it is so in demand in slimming diets.
The liquid plus the amount of fiber it provides are key to keeping the digestive system healthy, especially regarding intestinal transit .
2. It is anticancer: The polyphenols and cucurbitacin it contains prevent the reproduction of cancer cells in the uterus, breasts, prostate, colon, ovaries, among others.
3. It is an antioxidant: Cucumber is a source of vitamin C and beta-carotene that fight the effect of free radicals, thus revitalizing the skin and preventing chronic diseases .
In skin treatments it is commonly used in slices or as a mask.
4. Heart protector: Thanks to the fact that it contains potassium, it helps to strengthen cardiovascular health, especially to reduce blood pressure .
5. Brain protector: One of the properties that many are unaware of in cucumber is the protection it represents for the brain, since it contains fisetin, which optimizes memory, protects nerve cells and reduces the risk of suffering from Alzheimer’s.
3 benefits of cucumber peel
1. For bone health: The peel contains the highest concentration of vitamin K, in fact, a cup of cucumber with skin has 49 micrograms of vitamin K, which when peeled is only 9 micrograms. This protects the bones and prevents the formation of blood clots .
2. For visual health: Vitamin A has recognized effects on eye health , and the peel specifically contains beta-carotene, which is a type of this vitamin.
3. For digestive health: Due to its high level of insoluble fiber, cucumber skin is perfect for avoiding constipation and keeping the digestive organs clean.