Have you ever thought about the colors of your food? For your diet to be really balanced, nutritious and healthy, you must include a variety of colors in your dishes.
More than a simple appearance, the color of fruits and vegetables corresponds to their properties and, consequently, to the benefits they bring to your health.
For this reason, it is becoming very fashionable to think about the benefits of dishes due to their color: the more tones consumed per day, the more certain it is that you are eating well.
You don’t have to put all the colors on the plate at once. The important thing is that throughout the week you eat different fruits and vegetables so that they provide you with many benefits and you feel better.
When you read this article you will realize all the benefits of fruits and vegetables, and of course their colors.
The rules of a diet in colors
Fruits of all colors The basic colors are:
- White green
- Purple blue
Each color group has a specific combination of nutrients that will make you look better every day.
Today I am going to talk to you about white, white / green and yellow foods and in future articles I will talk about the other groups.
White fruits and vegetables are rich in potassium, diuretic and improve blood circulation. They help fight infections and strengthen the immune system.
- Garlic : contains photochemicals and potassium, reduces cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and prevents diabetes.
- Onion : eaten raw reduces blood pressure and has anti-inflammatory action.
- Cauliflower : contains fiber and lowers blood pressure.
- Endives : reduces cholesterol and excess free radicals.
- Apple : reduces cholesterol levels and improves defense against infections.
- Pear : it is diuretic and rich in fibers.
- Black pepper : its seed is white, has expectorant properties, is digestive and stimulates metabolism.
They have properties capable of reducing the risk of heart disease and even preventing strokes. This is due, among other things, to the presence of substances such as flavin.
These nutrients promote cell renewal and help control glucose and triglyceride levels in the blood, preventing against innumerable vascular complications.
Another benefit of white fruits and vegetables is their calcium intake; This mineral lowers blood pressure. If your blood pressure is high, you are more likely to have strokes and heart disease. Potassium, phosphorus and magnesium are also minerals present in this food group; they also regulate the work of the heart.
They improve the immune system and fight inflammations and infections.
They help the formation and maintenance of bones and muscles and intervene in the functioning of the nervous and cardiac systems.
They also contain allicin, which is a yellow oily substance with bactericidal properties, which is why it cooperates in the growth of the intestinal flora and inhibits the formation of pathogenic microorganisms. It is recommended for people suffering from fluid retention, edema and varicose veins.
- Cauliflower and romanesco
Color white / green
The phytochemical component of these off-white / greenish foods is called allicin and allium and it has many benefits. Its great characteristic is to create an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral environment in the body.
- Celery : contains minerals like sodium that help maintain healthy joints.
- Mushrooms : contain selenium that helps prevent cancer and keeps your body in balance.
The combination of white with green helps you maintain low cholesterol levels in your body, as well as a healthy heart.
They also supply organosulfides, flavonoids and help dissolve clots.
Some white / green foods prevent cancer and heart disease and lower cholesterol levels.
- Mushroom Salad
- White / green vegetables
Some research indicates that they can help to reduce the risk of suffering from some types of cancer, diabetes or cardiovascular diseases, and in these foods we also find vitamin C, which has antioxidant effects against the negative action of free radicals .
- Oil : contains mainly vitamin E, which is one of the most important fat-soluble antioxidants that exist, you can find them mainly oils of vegetable origin.
- Yellow plum : provides significant amounts of sugar and fiber. It allows us to restore the fluids that we lose and helps with the functioning of our intestines.
- Lemon : if you add a few drops when you are going to cook the vegetables, it reduces the loss of vitamins. If you put a little lemon in the water, it favors digestion and helps you lose weight.
- Peach : it is rich in beta-carotenoids that facilitate the tuning of vitamin A in the liver.
- Pineapple : contains bromelain, an enzyme that helps with the digestion of proteins, so it is advisable for those who suffer from a heavy stomach and slow digestion.
- Banana : has sugars and potassium. Potassium is very good when you exercise and sweat. If we do not have potassium in our body we can suffer from muscle cramps. This fruit is good for people who live an overly active life.
These fruits are the best option in the morning, as they will help you start the day with more energy. So add them to your breakfast because they will give you strength and vitality.
Vitamin C keeps teeth and gums healthy, can heal wounds, improves mucous membranes (colds), helps absorb iron, prevents inflammation, improves circulation, and therefore prevents heart disease. It is known for all the benefits of yellow and orange fruits on colds.
The darkest ones have the same health properties that orange foods give us.
The yellow color is related to the nervous system. These foods strengthen the nerves, support digestion, and ease irregularity.
It is also said, speaking from the perspective of psychology, that the benefits of yellow fruits and vegetables and in general all foods of this color is to help improve mood and promote a positive attitude towards life.
If you want to know more about the benefits of fruits and vegetables in the body, I have another article that gives you more information on how to take care of the body.
I hope these tips help you improve your health and you know a little more about what you eat and the benefits of fruits and vegetables. Until the next article.