One of the typical Spanish dishes is the recipe for thistle with almonds, which is especially enjoyed in the lands of Aragon, Soria, Navarra and La Rioja. Although it is typical of the Christmas season, you can also do it in season, from November to February, or freeze it and prepare it whenever you like.
Thistle is a vegetable with a high content of fiber, water, vitamin C, B1, B2 and B3; calcium, potassium, iron, sodium, selenium , among other compounds that make it a very beneficial food for the body.
Take advantage of its properties through this tasty preparation that we show below.
Recipe to prepare thistle with almonds
- 1 kilo of fresh or frozen thistle. You can also use 1 jar of canned thistle.
- 2 tablespoons of almond flour.
- 100 grams of fried almonds. It doesn’t matter if you have skin or not.
- 400 ml of water. It could be substituted for milk.
- ½ diced onion.
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced.
- A splash of olive or vegetable oil.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Optional: A splash of fine wine and a pinch of nutmeg.
- If you bought fresh thistle you have to clean it and cook it very well before using , later we will explain the steps. If you opted for thistle in a jar, you just have to wash it and let it drain. If you have frozen thistle, you will have to place it in boiling water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive / vegetable oil, over medium heat.
- When they are tender add the almond flour and mix for a few minutes. At this point you can add the splash of wine and wait for it to evaporate.
- Add the 400 ml of water or milk.
- Place the preparation in the blender to make the mixture homogeneous; Then you return it to the saucepan, continue mixing and when it thickens, add the thistle, leave it for 5 more minutes over low heat.
- In that short period of time, include fried almonds, salt flakes, black pepper and nutmeg.
How to clean fresh thistle
- First of all, we recommend that you wear gloves to avoid staining your hands or any type of allergic reaction.
- Remove the threads from the thistle stalk with a knife, from top to bottom. If you leave them, they will not be pleasant to eat, since they provide a tough fibrous texture . Get rid of the leaves too.
- Cut into 5-centimeter pieces; this size is the ideal one to appreciate the flavor in all its splendor.
- Because this vegetable is prone to oxidize like avocado, it is convenient that while cutting you place it in cold water with a few sprigs of parsley. Another trick is that when the thistle is boiled, you add a splash of lemon juice.
- Boil for 45 minutes. Now it’s ready to add to your recipes!
Properties of thistle
These are the most important properties that this vegetable contributes to your body, whether you prepare it in a sauce with other nuts, gratin, Navarra style or in various ways.
Reduces cholesterol levels
Thanks to its inulin, thistle reduces cholesterol levels and optimizes the absorption of nutrients such as phosphorus, magnesium or calcium. That is why it is suitable for the diet of people suffering from diabetes and to avoid osteoporosis.
If your purpose is to lower cholesterol, read this article that will be very useful .
Protects the liver and gallbladder
Part of the components of thistle is cynarin, which has a protective impact, as it prevents the liver from accumulating fat and forming stones in the gallbladder.
Regulates intestinal transit
Due to its fiber and water composition, it is special for regulating intestinal transit and thus preventing constipation .
Thistle is a vegetable that provides vitamins, potassium, calcium, sodium, iron and selenium to the body, thus helping to stabilize various functions, including muscle contractions that the heart needs.