It has been reported that in the Iberian Peninsula there are more than 1500 species of fungi and 100 of these are toxic and, therefore, dangerous. If you want to learn how to distinguish poisonous mushrooms from edible ones , before you go looking for them in the forest, you have come to the right place. This information is not something you should underestimate, since if you do not know which is good or not, poisoning or death can occur.
Tips to know if a mushroom is good or not
First of all, you should know that you should never eat a mushroom , until you are totally sure that it is good. To help you with this task, here are some tips:
- First of all, you must train your eyesight in order to identify mushrooms . At first glance you should be able to discard those that look deteriorated, broken, cracked or rotten. This would indicate that they are in poor condition and may harm you.
- You should know that there are very similar mushrooms , but some are poisonous and others are not. An example of this is Amanita caesarea and Amanita muscaria , the former edible and the latter toxic. This also happens with the species of boletus.
- Do not use size as a distinguishing characteristic, as this does not define toxicity. There are many small mushrooms with powerful poisons, as well as large ones. In the fall, in addition to mushrooms, you can get the best pumpkins, so it is important that you know the 7 things to look for to choose the best pumpkin before buying.
- Mushrooms are characterized by their multiple shapes, colors, and sizes . It doesn’t matter if some look familiar to us, like mushrooms, the good ones and the ones that are not can be similar.
- It also does not matter if they have a striking color or not. But, if the fungus is red, strong orange or greenish, not only on the top but also on the stem, it will be better to leave it because it is probably dangerous.
- Another very useful tip is to check the color once you cut the stem. If the color changes and turns bluish or produces a milky liquid, it is best not to eat it.
- A poisonous mushroom can be recognized by examining the white plates, ring, and volva. It begins by observing the area under the hat (hymenium), there the fungus stores its spores. You will be able to see small tubes, pores or sheets. If you see that it has white foils, it is potentially dangerous. You can also check if the stem shows a fine ring-shaped fabric, this is also a sign of possible toxicity.
- Look at the end of the stem. Many of the harmful mushrooms are flared to the extreme, so if this is what you see, better leave it as it is.
- Another good clue is the presence of veil . Inedible mushrooms show a kind of web that falls from the crown to the stem. If you see it, be careful.
- When you go to the forest you can take a piece of paper to help you see the color of the spores. If they are very dark or appear pink, they are likely toxic.