Julienne onion cutting is one of the fastest and easiest techniques to implement when chopping this vegetable, which has stood out in the culinary art for improving the flavor of food. Nobody (or almost nobody) in the world is capable of making a succulent dish without integrating this plant into the ingredients. If you don’t believe me, check out the cookbooks of the best international chefs.
Yes, it is delicious, whether raw in salads or in the kitchen as an outline of a rich meat. But the best thing about it is undoubtedly the amount of nutrients that a single piece has. Is that the onion has a high content of vitamins A, B6 and C, but it is also rich in minerals such as iron and potassium. It has other properties such as fiber and calcium, which are essential for the health of the body.
Now that you know how a simple onion is extremely useful for the well-being of your body, let’s get right into the topic, because what has brought us here is knowing exactly what it is and how to chop the onion in Juliana.
What is the Juliana cut?
Surely you have been practicing it for a long time without being aware of what it was about. But the Julienne cut of an onion or any other vegetable refers to cuts into very thin and uniform strips. The technique is one of the first that haute cuisine professionals learn as it is one of the most useful.
Chopping an onion by means of this effective mechanism will make the cooking of the vegetable is carried out in a much more uniform way. But it is also a quick and easy way to garnish any dish. Carrying out the procedure necessarily requires the appropriate instruments: a well-sharpened knife and cutting board.
How to carry out the procedure effectively?
If you do not know and need to learn how to cut the onion in Juliana, do not worry. Because we are here to help you, we give you a step by step with which you will surely learn quickly and easily.
- Step 1: We have already said that you must have the right tools, the most important being a well-sharpened knife to facilitate the process. You should also have a fairly stable cutting board on hand.
- Step 2: Thoroughly wash the onions to remove any traces of dirt. Do it with plenty of water, although if you wish you can use disinfectants for fruits and vegetables.
- Step 3: Because it is round, it is best to make a first cut of the onion on one side. It is recommended to do it from the stem down. Then, you must rest the vegetable on the table just by the silver area so that it gives stability.
- Step 4: With the help of the knife, you will have to make longitudinal cuts .
- Step 5: If you are done with one half, repeat the procedure with the other part of the onion. When finished, you will see very thin, long and slightly curved strips. This means that you have achieved an exceptional Juliana.
It does not matter if you are an apprentice chef or just an amateur cook, as achieving a good procedure through Julienne cutting will significantly improve the way you prepare a recipe. If you want to learn a lot more about the subject, you can also try preparing the best baked sweet potato sticks .