One of the most uncomfortable odors that I particularly detest is that of humidity, especially when it adheres to sheets, blankets, pillowcases and especially when it is released from towels and bathrobes that were supposed to be “clean”.
This kind of swimwear is manufactured with the purpose of drying everything wet on hands, face and body in general, so, inevitably, after several uses, they will begin to emanate a stench that is not what we would like. In addition, if they are not properly spread after use to dry, this odor will become worse and worse and more unbearable.
The good news is that there are some homemade tricks with cleaning products that you probably have at home, and some of them are even eco-friendly! Would you like to know more about them? Read on! Previously, we told you how to remove musty smell from clothes, now we reveal what to do to remove musty smell from towels easily, quickly and without spending almost no money.
Why do towels smell bad?
In most cases, this odor is caused by constant dampness, which, over time, leads to the accumulation of bacteria, spores and mold. In most cases, this bad smell is due to the fact that the towels have been stored without being completely dry or because they have been wet and tossed around in the laundry basket for a long time. They even give off a bad smell when they are left in the washing machine for a long time. Some of these causes are as follows:
- Garments are stored without being completely dry.
- They are thrown into the laundry basket when wet or damp.
- They remain in the washing machine for a long time after washing.
- When hung, they get soaked again in the rain and do not dry properly.
How to remove the bad smell of towels in the washing machine?
- Put the towels in the washing machine as if you were going to wash them normally.
- Start the washing machine and stop it after a few minutes.
- Put a cup of white vinegar and baking soda in the washer along with the hot water.
- Let the towels soak for 15 minutes to remove the odor.
Home remedies to remove bad odor from towels
Before starting with the infallible techniques to make towels smell nice, you need to know that they should be washed and disinfected at least once a week. However, if they are cloths that you use outside the home (for work or the gym), it is best to rinse them daily with soap and water.
Now that you know this important fact, pay attention to my favorite techniques for eliminating the stench of dampness on fabrics:
Washing towels with vinegar and baking soda in washing machine
One of the most effective methods to have towels and bathrobes without this annoying odor, is the irrefutable duo of home cleaning: white cleaning vinegar and baking soda have you heard of the effects of this all-purpose cleaner? Sure you have! Its properties are ideal for removing all traces of fungi and bacteria, thoroughly disinfecting, softening and even whitening! See how:
- Prepare a mixture in a basin with plenty of hot water (at least 60° C), two cups of white vinegar (approximately 250 ml) and one cup of baking soda (200 grams).
- In addition to eliminating the stench, it is perfect for removing yellowish stains and achieving impeccable results in a totally ecological way.
- Introduce the towels and let them soak for 1 hour.
- Once this is done, take the towels to the washing machine and wash them with the usual detergent (you can also wash them by hand without any problem). Similarly, you can add a cup of vinegar or baking soda to the fabric softener drawer (ideal for neutralizing odors in sportswear).
- Once the spin cycle is finished, let them air dry (better in the sun) and that’s it!
Final tip: If you are struggling with stubborn stains, apply baking soda directly to the stain and scrub vigorously with a brush.
Washing and disinfecting towels with liquid ammonia
Do you feel that your towels give off a putrid, musty odor?
Turn to ammonia, a powerful detergent capable of killing the strongest stenches and removing stubborn stains.
- Place the fabric in the washing machine.
- Pour a little liquid ammonia special for washing machines in the compartment indicated for soap.
- Program a short wash cycle with hot water and a gentle spin setting.
If you wash them by hand, the process is similar, except that you must soak them for 30 minutes in a basin with warm water and a cupful of liquid ammonia. After this time, drain, rinse and let them dry in the open air (preferably in the sun).
Note: Do not forget to wear gloves and do it in a ventilated space so that you are not affected by the smell of ammonia.
Bleach or bleach, the ideal choice for white towels
If what you want, in addition to removing the smell of humidity, is to whiten or stain white towels or bathrobes, a great allay is chlorine bleach, also known as bleach or the famous “bleach”. This is a perfect disinfectant bleach for white fabric, however, before using it, check the washing label to make sure it is suitable and will not damage the fabric fibers.
- In the washing machine: Pour a splash of pure bleach in the detergent drawer (it is the triangle in the washing machine symbols) and wash it with cold water, short cycle and gentle spin.
- By hand: Fill a basin with plenty of cold water (covering the garments), add a cup of bleach and soak the towels for 20 minutes. After that time, move them a little with your hands, rinse them, drain them and hang them in direct sunlight.
Eliminating musty odor in towels: Final Tips
If you have already gotten rid of this unbearable stench, you should know that this task does not stop there. Remember that the best way to prevent them from smelling musty is to prevent their appearance. This is the way:
- Once you have showered, do not leave the towel lying on the bed, do not throw it on top of the laundry in the hamper and do not hang them in closed places.
- If you hang towels in the bathroom, ventilate this area daily and if there are windows, open them to avoid the proliferation of humidity.
- When you wash them, wait until they are completely dry before folding and storing them.
Do not leave any garment (especially towels) in the washing machine for several hours, as this will generate mildew and bad odors.
- Do not use commercial fabric softeners (also applies to sportswear).
- Wash them with the appropriate amount of detergent. Excess will increase the likelihood that they will acquire a bad odor after use.
And don’t forget! If there is moisture in the cabinet, and you store them in it, this will lead to them gaining this odor after a couple of days of storage. One way to combat this disease is to place cloth bags filled with rice, coffee or salt. Try it and let us know how it goes!
How to eliminate strong odors?
In addition to towels, we can look for different products to help us eliminate those unpleasant odors that we do not like, here are 8 cleaning products that will help you and that surely you have at home many of them
- Apple cider vinegar, a natural antibacterial and deodorant: thanks to its antifungal properties, it prevents odors caused by mold.
- Vanilla essence to eliminate unpleasant odors: to get rid of bad smells that often appear in closets and enclosed spaces.
- Charcoal: combats bad smells associated with humidity, food leftovers and garbage.
- Coffee: very useful to neutralize unpleasant odors.
- Lemon juice, the best agent to eliminate bad odors, helps to eliminate bacteria and mold that are the cause of bad odors.
- Cinnamon, natural aromatizer: a great ally when it comes to aromatize the spaces of the house.
- Baking soda: fights bad odors associated with humidity, food leftovers and garbage.
- Clove: to eliminate unpleasant odors in poorly ventilated places.