When you live in a country where the daylight hours are quite a few of the year, you constantly struggle to give your home a bright and comfortable touch to feel good. Light is fundamental in the development of our daily life, and it is precisely on this premise that Nordic-style decoration is based.
Although its origin is in the Scandinavian countries, it has already conquered a large part of the planet. With its elegance, simplicity, and the search to find the possibility of exploiting to the maximum the sensation of having a luminous space, the concept of the “home” is a concept that many people like, because they want their home to be something like this: a place where they can feel good. Some northern countries, such as Denmark, have created a concept describing precisely this. It is called hygge is basically the word to describe a place that meets the conditions to be bright and comfortable.
Main features of Nordic style decoration
Suppose you have ever heard of Nordic-style decoration or have seen it in magazines and would like your home to achieve a similar look, we are going to tell you today what characteristics you must follow to fulfill it. Let’s go for it!
Giving the appearance of Nordic style in different house rooms is easier than it seems. In the same way that there are other decorative styles in which very specific elements are needed to achieve it, the Nordic style allows the possibility of flowing through colors and textures and achieve its appearance by adapting to various furniture and elements.
Points that are indispensable to achieving Nordic style
- Lighting, as we have already told you, is absolutely indispensable. That is why you should ensure that the natural lighting points, such as doors or windows, are as clear as possible so that light always enters. Regarding artificial lighting, lamps with dimmers are perfect for achieving different atmospheres, typical of the Nordic style.
- As for the shades you should look for, they all revolve around light colors. Beige, white and different shades of brown, pink, but light colors are the ones you should use. And suddenly, in the middle of these mixed shades of brown, beige, cream, or ivory, a more striking spot of color: a rug with geometric patterns, for example, or a slightly more explosive tablecloth.
- The textures in the Nordic style are also important because they will give that aspect of a place that is always comfortable. Therefore, a great ally for you is the furry things: fluffy cushions with fur, some warm-looking blankets, and thick carpets where one can imagine spending the afternoon reading.
- Wood is also another indispensable element. Tables, mainly to mix with the light tones and create that synchrony between all the elements of a room. Also, the pallets, reformed, can be used to place, for example, a vertical garden that combines the same type of wood as a table or an armchair. Along with wood, other materials also widely used are glass and methacrylate.
- Finally, concerning other rooms, such as the bathroom or kitchen, in the Nordic style, there is also much concern for achieving storage spaces. Being practical and having a place that is not only beautiful but also comfortable is the fundamental basis of the Nordic philosophy.
Where can you find furniture in this style?
Now that you know the basics of Nordic-style decorating, you may be wondering where you can start shopping for these items so that soon your living room, bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom will look that good.
Fortunately, as we mentioned earlier, it is a style that has spread throughout the world very quickly and easily. Today, a large part of decoration stores in any country has elements that help you achieve this aesthetic.
A clear example is the IKEA chain, which is also of Swedish origin, the cradle of Nordic-style decoration. The furniture found there, the decorative elements, and the tones match 100% with all these features that we have been telling you about the Nordic style. And it is also a place that allows you to get this type of decorative style with quite affordable prices. But this is not the only place where you can buy furniture and elements that form part of the Nordic trend. We are sure that in any decoration store, you will find inspiration to achieve that beautiful and comfortable home style that has conquered a large part of the world.
Over time, it has continued to gain followers, reaching high levels of popularity. Today, everyone knows what it is all about and wants to apply it thanks to its functional, simple, beautiful, and natural base. To achieve this, you must know great Nordic style ideas.
The Nordic style is the best option if you want to give your home a refreshing touch to make it look and feel cozier. It combines elements prevalent in traditional homes with a particular charm. The best thing about this decoration is that you can apply it in your home, office, or commercial premises for a more sophisticated look.
8 keys to a Nordic style decoration
The traditions of Scandinavian countries inspire nordic style in interior design, so it is difficult to resist its charm. It focuses on using light tones that offer warmth to the spaces and simple lines and lighting. But there are more details you can consider and here are 8 keys to guide you in a Nordic styledecoration.
1. Choose white over any color.
In the Nordic style decoration the white color predominates over any other color. This trend comes from countries with long winters and where the aim is to counteract the lack of natural light. White is used both on floors and walls; it brings luminosity and creates larger and more cheerful spaces.
You can add colorful details such as cushions, blankets, rugs, chairs, lamps, and any other type of decorative element.
The Nordic style in design includes minimalist furniture, which means you can decorate only with functional and essential furniture without overloading the spaces. The idea is to achieve simple, elegant, and beautiful rooms, choosing furniture with straight lines with a predominance of straight lines.
3. Protagonism in nature
Many elements, textures, and motifs of the Nordic style come from nature. Choose natural wood furniture such as lounge chairs or storage accessories for relaxed and luminous environments. Nature also predominates in textiles, so opt for fabrics made with cotton, wool, or linen materials.
In terms of colors, the trend of light tones continues, although you can add a more personal touch with colorful details, including drawings of leaves, flowers, and animals.
4. Continuous floors
Light colors also predominate in the decoration of the apartment. Flooring in the Nordic style is continuous and innovative, without the traditional tile markings. You can do it with polished cement or resin with different finishes, according to your style.
5. Simple shapes in objects
The shape of the furniture and objects of your decoration should be simple. Pieces with straight and refined lines in combination with soft and sinuous curves. Remember that spaces should not be overloaded with furniture since simplicity, practicality, and functionality should be maintained.
6. Wooden materials
The second element that cannot be missing in a Nordic-style design is wood. This material combines perfectly with light shades. For example, parquet or engineered wood floors are warmer and can extend into the bathroom with wood that is prepared to resist moisture.
7. Wallpaper out of monotony
Believe it or not, wallpaper is the protagonist of some walls in Nordic-style design. Especially in children’s rooms, to give a more cheerful and fun touch.
8. Glassware and methacrylate
Apart from wood, glass and methacrylate materials must be included in the Nordic decoration. They are lighter to the eye and provide opacity to the space. The combination of glassware, methacrylate, and wood gives the furniture an elegant, functional effect.
To achieve a pure Nordic-style design, white and light should prevail. However, the trend has shifted to pastels and natural fiber furniture over time. The general objective is to live in cozy spaces that transmit calm and, simultaneously, are sophisticated.