The most common thing that can happen to windows in the home is that they become dirty and stained over the days, especially when they are located in doors of rooms with frequent traffic such as the living room, kitchen or bathroom.
The children rest their dirty fingers on them, they fill up with soap residue when showering, windows are stained with raindrops and utensils in the kitchen are marked with hard water residue, which causes a whitish appearance on the surface because of excess of alkaline substances and other minerals.
For this reason, to ensure that they look shiny, optimal maintenance and daily cleaning should be carried out to get rid of dust, scale and scale build-up. If you want to learn how to remove scale from glass and other frequent stains with homemade tricks, pay attention! Just as we showed you ways to get a spotless mirror, we’ve compiled the 5 methods favored by housekeeping professionals and housewives around the world.
How to remove scale from glass with white vinegar
There is no doubt that cleaning vinegar, together with baking soda, is at the top of the list of natural, ecological, cheap, accessible and effective cleaning products. In this case, the acid that composes it is an excellent stain remover and is non-toxic, so you can handle it without any risk. So, if you want to know how to clean old glass, this is the way:
- Soak a sponge with vinegar and wipe over the glass rubbing the most stained areas.
- Let the vinegar act for 30 minutes to eliminate all the accumulated tartar.
- Rinse the glass with a cloth dampened in clean water.
- Wipe with a cotton cloth or newspaper to leave it shiny and impeccable.
How to clean stained and dull glass with water, vinegar and alcohol?
This is an effective scale remover, especially on forgotten and obscured by stained glass. See how to manufacture and apply it:
- Mix equal parts vinegar, clean water and rubbingalcohol.
- Dampen a cloth to rinse the entire surface with it.
- If necessary, rub with a metallic sponge gently where there is excessive lime scale stuck to the glass.
- To finish, clean with water and a dry microfiber cloth.
Ammonia and liquid detergent for more stubborn marks
Another effective method for removing scale from bathroom glass and dishwashing glass is to combine ammonia directly with liquid soap or everyday dishwashing liquid. Remember to handle ammonia with caution, as prolonged exposure to its strong chemical components can affect health. If possible, wear goggles, gloves and a mask for protection. These are the instructions to follow:
- In a bowl or container add hot water, one cup of ammonia and a little dishwashing soap.
- Mix well and dampen a sponge or microfiber cloth with this product.
- Pass it over the glass, exerting pressure and making circular movements with the sponge to soften the accumulated lime and tartar. In the most complicated places, where the sediments are thicker and more persistent, try a glass spatula or a scraper.
- Wash with clean water to remove debris and dry with absorbent kitchen towels to leave them spotless.
Note: It is ideal for removing stuck soap from bathroom glass and removing scale from the shower.
Vinegar and lemon, powerful combination to remove scale on tempered glass
It is normal for glass windows to be stained by raindrops and limescale, but with the sun, they adhere in such a way that stoning them is a real battle. By combining the acid of the vinegar with the fat removing properties of the citrus fruit, the effect is intensified and leaves a pleasant aroma:
- In a bowl, mix one cup of vinegar and the juice of two lemons.
- Impregnate a cloth or sponge and wipe several times over the parts stained with lime and other mineral deposits.
- Remove residues with a clean cloth.
Hydrogen peroxide, economical and easy to use
Ending dullness and dark – and sometimes disgusting – marks is possible. This technique works like a charm in places exposed to constant humidity, such as the bathroom. Thanks to the action of hydrogen peroxide, which works as a disinfectant cleaner, hard water, mold and scale depositsare removed withoutmuch effort. Notice how:
- Pour hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.
- Spray all glass with this liquid.
- Let it act and take effect for 5 minutes.
- Scrub with a sponge, and if it is a very hard layer formed, remove it with a scraper or spatula for glass or glass ceramic.
- Rinse the glass with soap and water and dry thoroughly at the end with a clean dry cloth.
And if nothing has worked, use soft “magic” sponges, commercial paste cleaners or apply toothpaste with a damp towel and circular motions.
Recommendations for cleaning and avoiding scale on glasses
One of the smartest tips is to install a filter to your water system or integrate water softeners to balance the hardness (the level of lime scale). On the other hand, it is recommended to clean glass surfaces regularly and always dry them with a lint-free cloth or absorbent paper (especially the shower door).
And don’t forget to prevent future stains by sealing shower doors with a coat of wax twice a year (also works on mirrors) and on glass tables, use coasters to prevent circular marks from appearing in the area. You will notice the change!