Did you know that there is an ecological, inexpensive and extremely effective household cleaner ? Yes, it is a combination of baking soda and vinegar. These two components have excellent qualities which, when mixed, produce a reaction capable of removing stubborn grease, encrusted dirt, disinfecting, and even removing unpleasant odors.
Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) is widely used in medicine, cosmetics, and cooking. Vinegar, likewise, is a substance with a high acetic acid content, which is recognized for its effects in killing bacteria, fungi, and odors. They certainly work well on their own, but together they take it up a notch!
This is mainly because they are at opposite ends of the pH scale. Vinegar has a pH of 2 (very acidic) and bicarbonate of 2 (very basic) before we revealed the preparation of a powerful disinfectant with vinegar and Vodka, in this article, we tell you how to clean with baking soda and vinegar, on which surfaces and how to enhance their cleaning action by putting them together.
Uses of vinegar and baking soda in cleaning
The combination of baking soda and vinegar is ideal in several situations, such as washing the bathroom, removing stains from clothes, or cleaning the kitchen.The former, thanks to its abrasive power, destroys organic compounds such as grease or sticky debris, while the latter, being acidic, decomposes minerals generated by hard water as scale, lime and moisture stains.
Sanitizing and disinfecting the bathroom with baking soda and vinegar
Here we brush our teeth, take showers and fulfill our physiological needs. Therefore, it is essential to wash each of its parts properly and control the appearance of harmful microorganisms. It is no secret that it is home to a valuable amount of germs and dirt, which, if neglected, can harm the health of those who use it. These are the steps to follow:
- In a large bowl, pour two cups of water, two heaping tablespoons of baking soda, and one cup of white vinegar.
- Mix well and wait for the effervescent effect (the bubbles) to finish.
- After this reaction, clean the bathroom surfaces with this liquid, the sink, the toilet, and the shower.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and rinse with plenty of warm or hot water.
In the case of washing heavily soiled bathtubs If the bathtub is very dirty, the ideal is to apply baking soda directly to the dirtiest areas, rub with a damp sponge to spread the product, and spray vinegar to cover it. Please wait 45 minutes for it to take effect and wash with warm water.
How to remove mildew stains with baking soda and vinegar.
In humid environments such as the shower or near the sink, it is common to notice mildew marks on tiles. Fortunately, removing them is very easy and inexpensive. Note the procedure:
- Mix one tablespoon of vinegar with two tablespoons of hot vinegar until a paste-like composition is formed.
- Once formed, scrub the stained or scaled areas with a sponge, emphasizing cleaning the blackened tile joints.
- Allow it to take effect for 30 minutes and, after this time, rinse with a damp cloth to get rid of the remains of dirt, baking soda, and vinegar.
How to clean the kitchen with baking soda and vinegar?
A clean kitchen is synonymous with peace of mind for those of us who are in charge of cooking. Nothing like noticing the sink spotless, the countertops free of crumbs and stains, and the appliances in working order. This is the most recommended procedure:
- Sprinkle baking soda on countertops, sinks, clogged pipes, or on the stove occasionally.
- Scrub the surface with a sponge, paying special attention to stubborn dirt.
- Leave on for 5 minutes and a splash of white vinegar.
- After this time, rub again with the sponge and wait 10 minutes for the acid to take effect.
- Rinse with water and dry with a cloth.
You can also use vinegar and baking soda to disinfect dishes and cutlery, place a little of either substance in a bucket of water, immerse the objects, wash them as usual and dry them. With a clean cloth and that’s it!
How to use vinegar and baking soda for stained linens
It is inevitable that, with time, our favorite garments will change color in the underarm, sleeve, or neck area. However, it is possible to combat this problem quickly and easily and restore their original whiteness.
You will only need three tablespoons of baking soda (30 grams) and half a cup of white vinegar (125 ml) and follow this process:
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the stain.
- Rub with a soft bristle brush.
- Wait a couple of minutes and let it soak in a container with the vinegar for two hours.
- Finally, rinse as usual.
Note: This method works on yellow stains on sheets, pillows or towels. It is also perfect for eliminating mildew and removing musty odors from clothes.
Say goodbye to carpet stains with baking soda and vinegar
Baking soda has bleaching properties, making it a useful solution against stains on various fabric surfaces such as furniture or chairs, but it is especially effective on carpets. When combined with white vinegar, they easily penetrate fabrics, removing the residues responsible for the stain. In addition, it has antimicrobial capacity, which makes it a perfect ally for disinfecting carpet upholstery.
Immediately, when you notice a stain on your carpet, sprinkle a little baking soda and rub it in with a brush. Then, spray some white vinegar and let it act for 5 minutes. Remove the residue with a vacuum cleaner or brush and straw and let it air dry.
There is no doubt that its applications are numerous, in fact, with them you can also clean the washing machine, sanitize household appliances and make your own homemade air freshener based on baking soda. It is surprising and environmentally friendly!
Before leaving this website, remember that this composition is very powerful. However, you should exercise caution. Vinegar is acidic, and bicarbonate is a base, so its mixture generates bubbles, which is why it should be carried out in an open container and not in a closed one (such as a bottle, for example). This way, you will avoid the dangerous effects of its chemical reaction.