Have you ever thought about how you could decorate a rustic house to make it look authentic? You may think that this style is related to the rural environment and, in fact, it is, but in recent years it has become a decorating trend that even the most cosmopolitan people like.
Wood tones, the warmth of the home, and earthy colors are some of the indispensable elements to decorate a rustic home. However, care must be taken because certain combinations can give bad results and become too dull or old-fashioned. And this is something you should be clear about: rustic style is not synonymous with old-fashioned, just rural, but it can be perfectly in line with some contemporary touches that will also look great.
Today we will tell you the keys to decorating a rustic house, which elements are indispensable, and which ones you can select from among the most multi-functional ones. Stay tuned because we’ll also give you tips on how to avoid spending too much money on it!
The characteristics of rustic decoration
Every interior designer and every person experiencing home renovations may have a different vision of what rustic style is in decorating. Some will prefer some elements and some combinations and others will prefer to take a risk and give it their own touch, even if it is mixed with that characteristic rural style.
We are going to tell you which are the typical elements of rustic decoration, those that will not fail in the goal of getting that house that looks like a home in the countryside. And then you, depending on the characteristics of your house, if there is more or less space or more or less light, you can select what you think is convenient:
- Wood is an absolutely fundamental element in any rustic decoration. It is true that each person can choose which part will be dominated by wood, but it will still be something that cannot be missing in any way. We recommend that if, for example, you have parquet flooring in the house, decorate the walls with an earth color, and also decide to put wooden furniture. However, if you have the situation that your house has wooden walls, something really rural, then it is best to put a marble or tile floor so that it is not too dark.
- Earthy colors, ranging from dirty white to olive green through a range of beige and browns, are part of the typical rustic decor. You can include this color in some upholstered furniture, such as sofas or armchairs, and also on the walls, as we said, in combination with wooden floors.
- White curtains with some sort of lace trim are classic to any cottage you’ve probably been to. White curtains also have the advantage of letting in a lot of light, and you can choose some that are thicker or thinner depending on the lighting you have in the living room or bedrooms. But this type of curtains are a synonym of rustic success.
- Although traditionally the very loaded decoration is not typical of the rustic environment, and therefore we do not recommend you to put too many sheets or decorative elements, it is possible to give a more contemporary touch to your rustic home to break the rules. Thus, a wooden wall in which, for example, a contemporary artwork is included, could look great.
- That said, if you want to stick to the stricter rules of rustic decorating, then simply add a few sheets that have to do with nature, and continue that range of earth tones.
Is it possible to achieve a rustic decoration without spending a lot of money?
Many people read decorating magazines or blogs and dream of a home renovation to achieve the aesthetics of their dreams, but the reality is that financially it can be a large sum of money and not everyone can afford it.
In this case do not worry, because we can assure you that with some small details you can give your home a rustic aesthetic without having to spend on it. The priority is that you get some of the house is made of wood, because this is indispensable. If you have wooden floors you are already half way there, and if not, it is possible to get second-hand wooden furniture, or even wallpaper for the wood-look walls.
Painting the walls in earth tones is another option, and you can do it yourself by simply buying a can of paint. On the other hand, it is an option for people with a limited budget to paint some of your own nature-themed plates.
In short, it is only necessary to have clear which are the three or four points that make an environment that has a characteristic rustic style. We hope we have helped you with our article.