Families in low-income households residing within Harris County, Texas, in its most economically challenged zip codes are set to receive a helping hand this fall, thanks to the green light given by county commissioners to the groundbreaking Uplift Harris pilot program. Designed with the aim of alleviating financial hardships, this initiative is geared towards providing much-needed support to those in need.
Under the program’s provisions, eligible families stand to gain a vital lifeline: a guaranteed monthly income of up to $500 for a duration spanning 18 consecutive months with the Uplift Harris program. That means that qualifying families could get a total of $9,000, which is pretty helpful when trying to make ends meet.
Applying for the Uplift program – You’re still on time
Currently, the Uplift Harris program’s application process is not yet underway. This innovative guaranteed income initiative received the green light from the Harris County Commissioners Court on June 6, 2023.
At present, the county is crafting all the essential details for the program, including the application procedure. Anticipated launch for the application process is slated for September 2023. If you think you could be approved, take a look at the official website of Harris County: www.harriscountytx.gov.
Harris County Uplift program: Who qualifies to claim the money?
First, if you’re thinking about applying for the Uplift program, you must reside in selected zip codes in Harris count:
- In the heart of 77050, you’ll discover a slice of tranquility amidst the bustling city, with pockets of residential charm. Moving over to 77093, you’ll find yourself in the Northside/Northline community, known for its cultural diversity and a thriving local scene.
- Heading south to 77051, the Sunnyside neighborhood offers a close-knit community with a range of amenities for its residents. Nearby 77060, you’ll find Aldine, a thriving suburban area known for its schools and parks.
- 77028 and 77033 are home to East Houston and South Park, respectively, where friendly faces and community spirit abound. Venture into 77026, and you’ll encounter neighborhoods like Kashmere Gardens, rich in history and community pride.
- As you explore 77081, you’ll experience the vibrancy of the Gulfton area, known for its international flair and cultural diversity. In 77547, you’ll find the city of Galena Park, nestled along the Houston Ship Channel, offering a unique blend of industrial and residential charm.
- Finally, 77091 encompasses neighborhoods like Acres Homes, known for its historical significance and strong sense of community.
It is also a prerequisite to have an annual income below 200% of the federal poverty level ($40,000 for a family of 4 people).